Tips to Creating a Stunning Outfit
I love putting together outfits and accessorizing! One morning while I was determining what to wear, I began to think about how I choose an outfit. I came up with a few basic ideas that I hope will be helpful to some of you! Here is what I usually do:
- Choose a focal point. In the outfit I am wearing here, the focal point was my bright skirt. That was what I knew I wanted to wear, so the rest of my outfit worked out around that.
- Determine if you will be mixing patterns. Take a good look at that first item you chose. Is it a busy pattern? What size is the pattern? What colors are in it? Is it bright or muted? What are some of the colors in the design that you like most? My skirt had a rather large flowered print. Since the pattern was large, I didn’t want something that was going to compete with it. The following picture shows a number of patterns that would work with this floral, however my personal selection was limited.
- Accessorize. Once you have chosen your clothes, determine what kind of accessories you want with it. In my outfit, since I had a solid color top, I knew it needed …. something. Most of my necklaces seemed too small or too formal to go. A scarf with a print seemed to be a good solution. I also determined my makeup and jewelry (or in my case, hair accessories ) based on my beginning focal point.
- Selecting shoes. I love maxi skirts, but in the cooler weather it can be hard to find shoes to go with them! As a busy mom, I need to have shoes that are comfortable enough for me to wear all day when I am on my feet a lot. Converse sneakers are my favorite answer. I found the perfect color to match my spring wardrobe at T.J. Maxx. Flip flops or sandals are great for the summer, too.
- Layer, if necessary. Another great way to add to an outfit that you might feel bored with is to add some layers. A long cami or tank top that adds another element of color by being slightly longer than your top can help a lot. A denim jacket or vest also works well.
- Experiment, but don’t overdo. Do you have too many solid colors in your outfit? Maybe you need to add a patterned sweater or select a top with some kind of a design instead of a solid. Do you have too many patterns? Maybe you need to switch out that busy scarf for a solid one. Don’t be afraid to try colors or prints that might not seem quite right at first! Some of my favorite outfits I put together by mistake! I would love to hear some of your ideas for selecting your ensemble!