Let’s face it – denim skirts can look quite drab if you don’t wear the right thing with them. However, if you chose a few interesting accessories, you can make some really fun outfits that are great for almost any occasion. Here are a few of my favorite ideas for accessorizing denim skirt outfits.
- Layer your tops. I almost always wear layered tops – sometimes with a camisole underneath and sometimes with sleeveless shirt on top. Camis can add a nice pop of color at the bottom of your shirt even if you can’t see them at the top. Sometimes the right tank top can look nice on top of a slim – fit, solid shirt for a nice color contrast, as well.
- Add a scarf. Often with my outfits, I like to have two coordinating color themes. I might have one color for my shirt and jewelry and another color that compliments it in my scarf. If you have a solid skirt, you want to brighten things up a bit with your accessories. Two colors can be a good way to do that. If you are wearing a solid color shirt, you may want a more vivid print scarf. Combining plaids isn’t usually a good idea, but I do like to wear a plaid shirt with a flowered scarf. (Watch my scarf tutorial from yesterday to match my Sunday outfit. )
- Sneakers. Did I just add sneakers as a recommended accessory with a skirt?! For a long time, I believed sneakers with a skirt were totally taboo. (I could post some pictures of myself in my teenage years that would illustrate why….I’ll spare you! LOL!) My sister bought me a pair of Converse sneakers for my birthday a few years ago and it completely changed my no sneaker policy! I can finally wear a pair of comfy sneakers with my skirts and not be embarrassed if I forget and go out in public like that! Turquoise is a color I wear a lot, so they match most of my outfits.
- Boots. In the cooler months, I love wearing boots with my skirts. Cowboy boots look cute with denim skirts, but if you aren’t a country girl, they might not be for you. I tend to like tall boots with my knee – length skirts. I did get a pair of ankle boots for Christmas that have been fun to experiment with, as well. They are great with all my long skirts but can be really cute with a shorter skirt, as well.
- Boot socks. Fleece – lined tights (or leggings) are my secret weapon when it comes to wearing denim skirts in the cold weather. I don’t necessarily love the look of tights, though. Boot socks add a feminine touch to a shorter denim skirt, not to mention that they add an extra layer of warmth.
- Jewlery. It can add a nice touch of coordination to wear a necklace and matching earrings with an outfit that needs just a little something. I like to wear layered necklaces with solid color shirts. If I am wearing a scarf, I will put a flexi clip on it to match the one in my hair.
and to 100 Happy Days.